From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Incorporating openvpn in backup scheme
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 08:13:16
1 On Wed, June 26, 2013 10:06, joost@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>>>>> I have several remote systems all pushing backups to my local
5 >>laptop
6 >>>>>> via rdiff-backup. Sometimes when on the road I find myself behind
7 >>a
8 >>>>>> router and the remote systems are unable to push. Is openvpn the
9 >>>>>> right solution here? Should I run a separate openvpn server on
10 >>each
11 >>>>>> system to be backed up with my laptop as the client?
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> If you can configure the router to forward the port used by the
14 >>OpenVPN
15 >>>>> server to your laptop, you can run the server on your laptop.
16 >>>>
17 >>>> I can't rely on being able to configure the router unfortunately,
18 >>but
19 >>>> I have to admit admin/admin does work a lot of the time.
20 >>>>
21 >>>>> But, as is more likely, when you can not configure the router,
22 >>running
23 >>>>> an
24 >>>>> OpenVPN server on (at least one) remote system and having your
25 >>laptop
26 >>>>> connect to that, you can have the other systems push to your laptop
27 >>over
28 >>>>> the VPN-link.
29 >>>>> Either directly (by establishing multiple VPN-links from your
30 >>laptop
31 >>>>> (one
32 >>>>> to each server) or via one of the remote systems.
33 >>>>
34 >>>> So I'm sure I understand, I should run the openvpn server on one of
35 >>my
36 >>>> remote systems and connect to that with each of the other remote
37 >>>> systems and the laptop. Then I can back up from any of the remote
38 >>>> systems to the laptop and all the laptop needs to be able to do is
39 >>>> make an outbound connection to the openvpn server?
40 >>>
42 >>> 1) OpenVPN on every remote system and have laptop connect to all
43 >>remote
44 >>> systems for the backup
45 >>>
46 >>> 2) OpenVPN on 1 remote system (configured as router for the
47 >>VPN-links)
48 >>> - laptop and other remote systems connect to this remote system
49 >>> - backup are sent to laptop via this one remote system
50 >>
51 >>#2 sounds cooler. Is that what you'd do?
52 >>
53 >>- Grant
54 >
55 > Yes.
56 > With the VPN server being at my home network.
57
58 Need to add to this:
59 Option #2 has a few downsides:
60 1) The system running the VPN-server will have a lot more bandwidth
61 utilisation. (Backups for other systems will go through the link this one
62 has)
63 2) If that system is down, none of the other systems can be accessed via VPN.
64
65 For me the downsides don't count as the server can be accessed really
66 easily and I pay the same for my home internet connection when I use it or
67 don't use it.
70 Joost