From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Corrupt USB pen drive
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 21:00:34
1 On Thursday 17 May 2007 13:36, Mick wrote:
2
3 > A colleague used a USB stick on his home machine and when he brought
4 > it to work he can no longer access it using WinXP. I offered to help
5 > with my Gentoo laptop (as one ought to rise to the challenge!) but it
6 > seems that Linux is also struggling to get to it:
7 >[cut]
8 > sda: assuming drive cache: write through
9 > sda: unknown partition table
10
11 Might not help you in this case, but I seem to remember that, for some
12 USB pens at least, if you format the drive using the windows "utility"
13 that comes with the device, it screws up the partition table and uses
14 the whole /dev/sda device to create a single fat32 filesystem. I'm
15 fairly sure I saw one of two of these in the past.
16
17 So, have you tried mounting it using just
18
19 mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/somewhere
20
21 ?
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list