From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia drivers and KDE problem
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 10:40:17
1 On 26/05/2013 11:51, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> I get a similar issue, my video card is an ATI and I use the radeon
4 >> drivers. Same symptom as you - plasma stops updating it's widgets like
5 >> clocks and stops responding to the mouse. Keyboard works. In my case,
6 >> it's usually linked to nfs and smb mounts that went away (eg, if I
7 >> forget to umount my NFS media server at home and go to work) which
8 >> indicates a blocking issue somehow. I've read many reports on the
9 >> internet that krunner is somehow involved, so that might be a good
10 >> starting point for investigation. krunner is the thing you get in KDE
11 >> when typing Alt-F2
12 >
13 > So this may not be a nvidia issue at all since you get the same with a
14 > ATI card. Right?
15
16 yes
20 > What package provides the kicker thingy? I think in KDE3 it was called
21 > kicker but it appears to have changed to something else. Is that
22 > krunner that has it now?
23
24 Maybe it's time you used the "thingy" suffix a little less and the real
25 names of things a little more :-)
26
27 What thing are you asking about? The panel that is usually at the bottom
28 and holds the plasma widgets? Or the thin popup you get with Alt-F2?
29
30 The panel is called plasma-desktop and comes from kde-base/plasma-workspace
31 The popup is krunner and comes from kde-base/krunner
32
33 I doubt very much it's a real bug as such in either KDE app (although
34 the fix might go in there). It looks much more to me like a side-effect
35 of IO blocking - two or more apps are trying to get something done and
36 unexpectedly are not getting answers, so they hang around waiting in the
37 doorway and get get in the way of everything else. And just for fun,
38 video drivers are also trying to get in on the act as they have to deal
39 with mouse pointer repaints...
40
41 Debugging this one is going to be fun (for peculiar definitions of fun)
45 Alan McKinnon
46 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com