From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] oxford vs prolific vs other firewire chipsets
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:13:04
1 (A little OT, but hey, I use gentoo :)
2
3 I am looking for a recommendation for a usb 2 and firewire 2.5 inch
4 external case.
5
6 I heard that there are problems with the prolific firewire chipset, a
7 friend had one that wiped the partition table every time he plugged it
8 into his PC's firewire port! (same device worked ok with usb).
9
10 I've also heard that the oxford chipset is good + fast.
11
12 I am looking for something that will be able to push as much data from
13 my 2.5in 60Gb 5400rpm laptop HD as possible. I'm replacing it with a
14 larger HD so I want to use the storage in a reasonable manner.
15
16 I appreciate your suggestions, especially if you're using a particular
17 device already.
18
19 Thanks,
20 --