From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kenel line in grub.conf when using initrd
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:50:32
1 Am Mittwoch, 10. Dezember 2008 19:53:10 schrieb Harry Putnam:
2 > I happen to be stuck with a machine using an initramfs. Every of attempt
3 > of mine to build a new kernel not using an initram (Or even with initram)
4 > has failed with the boot routine failing to recognize my /dev/sdb3 as root.
5
6 What is the error message you get?
7
8 > Its a gentoo vmappliance running on windows xp pro.
9 >
10 > I'm not asking about getting the kernel right this time... I have in other
11 > threads. I just want to know more about invoking the intramfs.
12 >
13 > I know what needs to go in grub just by coping what is there originally in
14 > the vmware but I'm wondering:
15 >
16 > If you wanted to use something like vesa_fb... I know the incantations for
17 > the kernel line:
18 >
19 > Since that is how I boot my main gentoo desktop:
20 >
21 > /kernel bla-222 root=/dev/hda5 vga=0x31A video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap
22 >
23 > On that machine I use no intramfs.
24 >
25 > But when booting from initramfs where would that kind of stuff go. Or is
26 > it made useless by booting from intramfs.
27
28 It just stays where it is.
29
30 > Would the `vga=0x31A video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap' go on the kernel line still
31 > or on the `initrd' line.
32
33 The above is just the kernel command line, options you can pass just as you
34 would for any command when the system is running. The initrd line just tells
35 grub where to find the initrd and how it's named. BTW: You can compile the
36 initramfs into the kernel, so that this extra line isn't even needed.
37
38 > As you see I don't really understand what is happening there.
39 > Reading that part of the handbook, it kind of skips over that. Gives
40 > direction for kernel and for initramfs but doesn't say what to do with VESA
41 > stuff if you boot from initrd.
42
43 See above. Both are completely different things.
44
45 Why do you think you need an initramfs at all? It's usually only needed in
46 very rare cases where either a driver for storage hardware is needed which is
47 not part of the kernel itself or some user space things need to be done to
48 even setup the root device before the system can be booted from it (i.e. when
49 it's encrypted).
50
51 However, to get a better understanding about initramfs and how it works, you
52 should read Documentation/early-userspace/README in the kernel source tree.
53
54 HTH...
55
56 Dirk