From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT - More Router Advice] Cheap Router with decent/reliable VLAN support
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 00:44:05
1 In linux.gentoo.user, Todd Goodman wrote:
2 > * Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> [110528 12:43]:
3 >> After seeing an older thread asking about a router, I figured I'd ask my
4 >> own question...
5 >>
6 >> I'm looking for a cheap but reliable router that has decent and SIMPLE
7 >> way to add VLANs (I'm not a CISCO guy and don't want to have to become
8 >> one)...
9 >>
10 >> Specifically, I want to have one VLAN that my wireless access points are
11 >> plugged into, to provide ONLY internet access, and then a separate VLAN
12 >> for my internal network...
13 >>
14 >> This is to protect my internal net from any potentially infected
15 >> machines that are on the wireless access points (I routinely work on
16 >> infected computers for friends/family, so, I need internet access, but
17 >> want them isolated from my internal network).
18 >>
19 >> Anyone? Will one of the FLOSS builds for the cheap Cable/DSL routers
20 >> support VLANs on the different built-in router ports (ie, Tomato, DD-WRT
21 >> or OpenWRT)?
22 >>
23 >> Looking forward to any suggestions/ideas...
24 >
25 > Hi, I'm pretty sure OpenWRT supports VLANs.
26 >
27 > I started using it on a Buffalo WHR-G300N (I think, not at home to check
28 > right now.) Cheap and I didn't expect much but it works great (far
29 > better than any Linksys or trendnet products I've purchased and run
30 > their firmware on.)
31
32 I'll second that. I run a Buffalo Nfiniti WZR-HP-G300NH with openwrt
33 installed. It is VLAN capable and has Gigabyte ethernet and b/g/n wifi.
34 It also has a USB socket for extra disk storage if needed (or any other
35 peripheral you fancy). It just sits in the corner and does its job. It
36 is also very cheap.
39 Regards,
40 Gregory.