From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] High-pitched sound from inside the PC when opening menus
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:37:38
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > This is a question that is off topic of course, but I'm not sure *where*
3 > it would be on-topic. Considering that Gentoo users are also often
4 > so-called "enthusiasts", I'll drop the question here ;)
5 >
6 > In KDE (3), when enabling the "fade" effect for menus, clicking on a
7 > menu results in a faint, high-pitched tone coming from somewhere inside
8 > the PC case. The tone lasts for the duration of the fade effect (should
9 > about 0.2 seconds). This is happening on more than one machines. You
10 > have to listen carefully to make out the sound, but it's there.
11 >
12 > So the question is simple: where does the sound come from and why?
16 I get something very similar when using any 3d application. I was
17 thinking it is interference from the graphics device seeping into the
18 sound card.
19
20 Do you have sound card and speakers connected, if so, does it come out
21 of the speakers or is it internal to the case?
22
23 Not being an electronics engineer, i don't want to start taking my
24 hardware to pieces and re-shield it all. It seems like I'm going to have
25 to replace my old SB Audigy that's served me so well for years.
26
27 I know it's not a definitive answer but it might point to the right
28 direction.
29
30 BTW, this happens in both gentoo and windows xp for me.
31
32 Matt