From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone else's Gentoo unruly lately?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:35:58
1 On Saturday 28 June 2008, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > > your manually maintained log is entirely redundant if you emerge
3 > > Genlop
4 >
5 > How so ? -- the site given by 'eix genlop' simply goes on re Perl.
6
7 emerge genlop.
8
9 When it runs it essentially parses /var log/emerge.log and gives output
10 like so:
11
12 Sat Jun 28 22:09:53 2008 >>> dev-util/git-1.5.6.1
13 Sat Jun 28 22:12:28 2008 >>> x11-themes/qtcurve-0.59.3
14 Sat Jun 28 22:14:30 2008 >>> x11-themes/qtcurve-qt4-0.59.4
15
16 The benefit is that there is no chance to accidentally omit recording an
17 update if you do it manually.
18
19 > > and by telling portage to log to disk there is no real need
20 > > to sit glued to the screen watching console output anymore.
21 >
22 > I know: I have  280 MB  in  /var/log/emerge-logs  (wry smile).
23 >
24 > Anyway, I've just done my weekly update.  There were  4  pkgs to
25 > process -- eselect-ctags fetchmail autoconf shared-mime-info -- &
26 > also  eix , which has a new version in testing (safe enough for eix).
27 > Of course, I make use of Konsole tabs to facilitate eix & emerge,
28 > update 'pkg.ref' with Gvim running on another KDE desktop
29 > & use Klipper to copy info between Konsole & Gvim.
30 >
31 > I've been doing it this way for nearly 8 years
32 > & have never run into a serious problem: HTH one or two others
33 > (smile).
34
35 :-)
36
37 I prefer to just let the software do what it's best at - mindless
38 execution of instructions - and I get on with what I'm best at - not
39 mindlessly executing instructions. I figure that if an emerge fails, it
40 will do so with identical output whether I use emerge world or emerge
41 package. If an ebuild outputs important warnings and/or info it's in
42 the log file where I can examine it at leisure. I've never yet seen a
43 case where emerge package would have left me in a better position than
44 emerge world intelligently used. The closest case was expat, but
45 nothing in the emerge procedure would have prepared me for the result
46 of that - one had to emerge it to then discover the resulting breakage.
47 These days we have @preserved-rebuild to handle even that.
48
49 I guess we all have our favoured way of doing updates.
50 --
51 Alan McKinnon
52 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
55 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list