From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Graphics Card Advice
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 11:23:26
1 On Wednesday, 29 April 2020 23:48:28 BST jdm wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 10:17:37 +0200
3 >
4 > tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
5 > > On 04/29 06:05, jdm wrote:
6 > > > Hi,
7 > > >
8 > > > I have just bought a RX 5600 XT and after a few issues with screen
9 > > > freezing after kernel starts loading, resolved by compiling EFIFB
10 > > > (no previous FB compiled in) the card has been working fine for 2
11 > > > days booting normally. The machine then started not to boot, not
12 > > > even to get to BIOS (so you couldn't even press DEL to get to BIOS
13 > > > screen). I took the card out and replaced with old card and PC
14 > > > started fine. I tried this 4 times and still with new card PC would
15 > > > not even POST. I don't have a little speaker to here if there are
16 > > > any beeps.
17 > > >
18 > > > I am returning the card as it feels like that is the problem but
19 > > > have a nagging suspicion this could be some other problem like
20 > > > power supply. I have 700W coolermaster PSU which should be ample
21 > > > (according to websites) but is 9 years (amazingly they had the
22 > > > foresight to provide 8 and 6 pin cables which were both plugged in).
23 > > >
24 > > > My next issue is do I get another 5600 XT (different brand) or are
25 > > > nvidia equivalent better? I have always been an AMD fan. Could I
26 > > > end up in the same boat.
27 > > >
28 > > > PC spec - ASUS 470 Pro MB with 2700 Ryzen.
29 > > >
30 > > > Any advice would be much appreciated?
31 > > >
32 > > > John
33 > >
34 > > Hi John,
35 > >
36 > > what graphicscard you want depends heavily on what you want to
37 > > do with your PC...
38 > > What are the tasks, which put a heavy load on your PC/graphicscard and
39 > > which you are do regularily?
40 > > Do you do a lot of rendering (Blender for example) or video
41 > > (re-)encoding? Do you AI related things (tesorflow for example)?
42 > > Or is gaming you main application?
43 > >
44 > > Furthermore: You CPU must fit your graphicscard performancewise.
45 > > It makes no sense to choose "a performance beast" and to combine
46 > > it with a "entry level being".
47 > > The fastest graphicscard can onlu as fast, as data are coming from
48 > > the CPU and vice versa.
49 > >
50 > > On the internet you find a combination of the Ryzen 5 3600 with
51 > > one of the nvidia RTX 20[678] SUPER cards. The RTX 2060 SUPER
52 > > comes with 8GByte of video ram instead of 6 GBYte of the RTX 2060.
53 > >
54 > > "Linus Tech Tipps" and "Tom's Hardware" are probablu to look for.
55 > >
56 > > HTH!
57 > >
58 > > Cheers!
59 > > Meino
60 >
61 > Thanks for advice.
62 >
63 > I like playing games and noticed with current card that FPS is low on a
64 > lot of games.
65 > I have tried to get a balance between not paying too much and specs of
66 > monitor (2560x1440 @60 fps). According to GPU check I should get max of
67 > 80 fps @ 1440. So thought I would have some left in the bank with 5600
68 > XT.
69 >
70 > I'll check CPU to GPU rate.
71 >
72 > There's too much choice and now a little worried that next card might
73 > not work again.
74 >
75 > John
76
77 PSUs do not last forever and if you experience power surges, lightning, etc.
78 they could last even less. More often than not some early degradation causes
79 random crashes, when under load, rather than complete blackout. It is not
80 easy to test a PSU without an oscilloscope, but you could look at the MoBo
81 voltages with a multimeter to see if they're broadly within limits and don't
82 drop off too much when a load in placed them.
83
84 Personally I don't bother measuring voltages. If you take the PSU out of the
85 case and visually inspect its capacitors you may find some have domed tops, an
86 indication they have overheated and are on their way out. A few pennies would
87 buy you a bag of replacements which you can solder in to restore the PSU to
88 its original performance. It used to be Panasonic capacitors were better made
89 and had higher ratings, but I don't know what brands can claim better quality
90 of manufacture these days. Burned resistors are an indication of catastrophic
91 surges, although I have replaced resistors and capacitors on a cheap PSU which
92 burnt out when sheet lightning hit our area one year and worked fine for years
93 after that.
94
95 Of course, if the problem is with the video card, the PSU won't fix your
96 problem.