From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:52:19
1 On Thursday 23 June 2011 09:12:15 Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 > On Thursday, June 23 at 13:45 (+0200), Joost Roeleveld said:
3 > > > Yes the stage4 should work similarly. However Pandu was asking
4 > >
5 > > about
6 > >
7 > > > building ".xva" which I know nothing about, unless an .xva is
8 > >
9 > > similar
10 > >
11 > > > to/same as a stage4 (I have no idea)?
12 > >
13 > > .xva is a format specifically for Citrix Xen.
14 > >
15 > > There are tools to convert "classic" Xen VMs to "xva" files:
16 > > http://www.xen.org/files/xva/README
17 > >
18 > > I would be willing to assist in getting this tool to work with your
19 > > program.
20 > > All I'd need is a copy of your program along with assistance from
21 > > Pandu Poluan
22 > > to test the resulting XVA files.
23 > >
24 > > I do not run Citrix XenServer and have no need for it as Xen itself
25 > > works fine
26 > > for me.
27 >
28 > Thank you. I downloaded the xva.py script and created a target to
29 > create .xva files. The script appeared to run fine. No errors, but I
30 > cannot verify that the .xva is good. I used hvm and converted the raw
31 > image. The .xva is 4.1G whereras the original raw image is only 414MB
32 > (sparse). The .xva appears to be a tar file, but I guess w/o the -S
33 > flag passed to gnu tar.
34
35 Yes, that's what I read on the web as well. A tar-file filled with silly-named
36 files and an XML-file containing the configuration. :)
37
38 > My program is hosted on bitbucket[1]. The documentation for it is
39 > outdated.
40 >
41 > -a
42 >