From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unstable glib pulled down, but why?
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 18:34:44
1 On Monday 30 June 2008, brullo nulla wrote:
2 > > Seems a reasonable question, but will be almost impossible to
3 > > implement, as how would you define a package that can "be happily
4 > > merged independently" of a blocking package?
5 > >
6 > > portage is software, it isn't intelligent so it doesn't know how to
7 > > answer that. I admit it's annoying though.
8 >
9 > The block will in many cases affect only a branch of the dependency
10 > tree. For example, in this case it is all blocked because glibmm
11 > wants a masked glib. Portage knows that glibmm wants the masked glib,
12 > so it knows that glibmm causes the trouble. So it could in principle
13 > give me what is to update except for glibmm and glib - and give me
14 > the error about those two.
15 >
16 > Am I missing something?
17
18 Probably not :-)
19
20 But the portage code has been described as difficult to maintain, so I
21 suppose the correct person to ask is Zac himself. Perhaps there are
22 tricky edge cases?
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list