From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE Plasma sound not working
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 16:15:46
1 On Wednesday, 15 June 2022 17:29:54 BST Julien Roy wrote:
2 > On 6/15/22 06:52, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I do something like that by copying a good user account as a basis for the
4 > > next iteration. The problem is just the fineness of granularity that's
5 > > needed, now that a coarse grain hasn't helped. Hey-ho. Here we must go
6 > > again...
7 > What is certain is that the issue is caused by a file in your home
8 > directory, since creating a new user fixes the problem.
9
10 Having spent several hours at this today, I've concluded that the problem is
11 caused by the Startpage add-on to Firefox. Specifically, startpage 1.3 and
12 Firefox 71.10. Early in the stepwise setting everything up, I started Firefox,
13 set its typefaces and so on, then installed Startpage. The sound system
14 stopped working instantly. I removed Startpage and the sound came back. A
15 reboot confirmed that no lasting damage had been done. So, I'm now using 'EU
16 Startpage - Unofficial', which seems to working well so far.
17
18 > What may help you to be more specific with this would be to list what
19 > files were modified since the last time audio worked; for example, `find
20 > $HOME -mtime 0` will show files modified in the last 24 hours
21 >
22 > You might want to run this command on .config or .kde directories to see
23 > what could have changed, although it's true that it might take a while
24 > to pin point it...
25 >
26 > Another option, since you mention that you re-created your user multiple
27 > times, is to just delete specific folders, reboot, and try audio. Maybe
28 > start with .config as that would be the most obvious culprit. If that
29 > doesn't work, try .kde (not sure if that folder is in ~/ or ~/.config),
30 > then other directories.
31
32 I'll stick with the system I have for the moment, thanks. I'll also report the
33 problem to the developers.
34
35 > Also, did you check `dmesg` to see if there are any errors related to
36 > the audio device/driver? Try `dmesg --level=err,warn`
37
38 Thanks for your ideas, Julien.
41 Regards,
42 Peter.