From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] Any thoughts on Intel Skylake SGX?
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 23:35:05
1 Hello list
2
3 so I was about to treat myself to a new Thinkpad. After malware, backdoor
4 and BIOS rootkit stories at Lenovo’s (which to my knowledge were all
5 Windows-only problems) I already started looking elsewhere and even
6 considered bying a used model which existed before all this modern crap came
7 along, but always came back yet for lack of better alternatives.
8
9 Today the new Skylake lineup which I’ve been awaiting since January finally
10 appeared in the Lenovo online shop. Conincidentally also today¹, I found out
11 about the next thing since TPM, Secure Boot & Co: the SGX (Software Guard
12 Extension) instruction set which is part of all Skylake chips².
13
14 The way I understood it is that it can be used to create private areas in
15 memory that are inaccessible to any other program, even the operating
16 system. Since it’s based on cryptographic signatures and Intel being the
17 sole supplier of licences and signature keys, there are those who fear that
18 Intel will – over time – gain unparalleled control over what we can and
19 cannot run on our machines and that we will not be able to check what runs
20 on our systems anymore. (Well, such fears are not really new to begin with).
23 Infos are spare b/c it just hit the market a short wile ago, and I’m no
24 expert by far. Thus I seek guidance. With states and corporations sniffing
25 at our every step as they are already, can I – in your considered opinion –
26 still buy a Skylake device with good concience?
27
28 Am I seeing things too bleak in the context of constant attacks on open
29 systems which – when puzzled together – give a horrible picture of our
30 future in a society that doesn’t care as long as Facebook works?
31
32 Or don’t I have to worry about it because this will only play a role in the
33 walled gardens of contemporary commercial consuming interfaces (formerly
34 known as operating systems, AKA Windows) or servers?
37 Ew, I wanted to ask a simple question. Instead, I needed 30 minutes to write
38 half a short story. Sorry and thanks for your time.
41 ¹ German news article:
42 http://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Kritik-an-Intels-Sicherheits-Architektur-Software-Guard-Extensions-3089439.html
43 ² https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Guard_Extensions
44 --
45 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
46 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any social network.
47
48 This message was written using only recycled electrons.