From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ceph on gentoo?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:54:10
1 Am 23.12.2014 um 21:40 schrieb Rich Freeman:
2 > On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> got my first two demo nodes up and in-sync ... what a success ;-)
5 >
6 > I started to look into ceph, and my biggest issue is that they don't
7 > protect against silent corruption. They do checksum data during
8 > transit, but not at rest. That means that you could end up with 3
9 > different copies of a file and no way to know which one is the right
10 > one. Simply storing the data on btrfs isn't enough - that will
11 > protect against files changing on the disk itself, but you could STILL
12 > end up with 3 different copies of a file on different nodes and no way
13 > to know which one is right, if the error happens at a higher level
14 > than the btrfs filesystem/disk.
15
16 but ... oh my. *sigh*
17
18 I assume the devs there have a clever answer to this as well?
19
20 At least for the future ... now that btrfs is declared stable at least
21 for the more trivial setups (read: not RAID5/6) by Chris Mason himself
22 ... btrfs should be usable for ceph-OSDs soon.
23
24 In the other direction: what protects against these errors you mention?
25
26 S