From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting up without X
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:40:44
1 On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 20:16 +0400, Yahya Mohammad wrote:
2 > I want to add a grub menu entry that will load the system without
3 > starting gdm, just like the livecd does when the 'nox' kernel parameter is
4 > passed. I poked around the CD a bit to figure out how that's done but
5 > failed. Does the kernel have to be modified to do this? Thanks for any
6 > pointers.
7
8 I don't know what the livecd does but you certainly don't have to modify
9 a kernel to do something like that.
10
11 The way I see it there are two possible solutions:
12
13 1. Create a new runlevel, say "nox" and just don't put xdm in the
14 runlevel. The drawback to this is you have to maintain another
15 runlevel.
16
17 2. Edit /etc/init.d/xdm (or better yet, make a copy of your own and edit
18 it) that simply checks for the existence of, say "nox" in /proc/cmdline
19 and exit immediately if so.
20
21 Then change your grub config as appropriate.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list