From: Farhan Ahmed <farhanahmed06@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nv vs nvidia (xorg-7*)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 17:56:22
1 James wrote:
2 > (...)
3 > My first card:
4 > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]
5 > (rev b2)
6 >
7 > Legacy or current? It's not clear to me which category this or any other
8 > nvidia cards fall into. Is there a table I can look up to see which
9 > nvidia cards belong to which driver.
10
11 For your card you can use the current drivers.. You can have a
12 look at this :
13
14 http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_18897.html
15
16 It contains all the models supported by the latest nvidia drivers.
19 > In xorg.conf do I use do 'nv' or 'nvidia' or 'nvidia-legacy'
20 > Driver "nv"
21 > Driver "nvidia"
22 > Driver "nvidia-legacy"
23 >
24 > With my hardware, which current nvidia driver (legacy) would I emerge
25 > to match my card?
26
27 You can use nvidia driver in your xorg.conf.
28 Driver "nvidia"
29
30 > On another gentoo workstation It has this card:
31 >
32 > 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
33 > (rev a1)
34 >
35 > Which Driver would I choose for this nvidia card?
36
37 This card too will work with the latest nvidia-drivers.
40 One more thing James, there is no need to do an emerge nvidia-kernel and
41 emerge nvidia-glx anymore.. There is a new unified ebuild
42 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers. Just do a emerge x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers.
43 I suggest you do
44
45 $ echo "x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ~x86" > /etc/portage/package.keywords
46
47 as the newest drivers have not yet made into the stable branch..
48
49 Hope this helps,
50 Farhan Ahmed
51 --
52 Place : Bangalore, Karnataka, India
53 GPG Key : 8BE90E98
54 WengoPhone ID : farhanahmed
55 IRC Nick : farhanahmed / farhanahmed06 (irc.freenode.net)