From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] quickpkg on a complete system?
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 21:20:02
1 Hi,
2 I have a system in which I've never used the buildpkg feature so I
3 have no packages. The machine is completely up to date - i.e. - emerge
4 -DuN @world does nothing new.
5
6 I know if I turn on buildpkg and do an emerge -e @world, assuming
7 all the compiling completes without error, emerge will create packages
8 for everything that's install. That however takes lots of time.
9
10 I was reading about the quickpkg feature which supposedly creates
11 packages from what's already installed, but I'm not sure how to
12 actually run that for a complete system like this. If I put
13 FEATURES="quickpkg" in make.conf and run emerge -e @world, will emerge
14 simply make the packages for anything that's already installed, but
15 not actually compile the packages themselves?
16
17 Thanks,
18 Mark