From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] installing Gentoo in a xen VM
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 02:44:20
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:55:50 PM lee wrote:
4 >> BTW, can I use xfs for the VM, or will it be difficult to get the VM
5 >> booted from xfs?
6 >
7 > Using PV, not at all. As long as the kernel for the VM has XFS support built-
8 > in. (This is valid for other filesystems as well)
9
10 Oh that's good to know. I've found that Gentoo comes with ZFS, and if I
11 can create a ZFS file system from some disks and boot from that without
12 further ado, that might be pretty cool.
13
14 I tried out the latest Gentoo live DVD ... and I was surprised that the
15 software it comes with is so old. Libreoffice 3.x? Seamonkey a couple
16 versions behind?
17
18 Is the software going to be more recent when I actually install?
19
20 >> > Once you're in the chroot then you should install the kernel/etc per
21 >> > the handbook.
22 >>
23 >> So there isn't really an advantage to use HVM ... it's even easier
24 >> because I can access the LV from dom0.
25 >
26 > Not really. For the PV, there isn't even a necessity to have a kernel in the
27 > VM at all as it is simpler to have the kernel on the filesystem belonging to
28 > the host and point the config to that.
29
30 ATM, I'm looking at LXC instead of VMs. I'm planning to make some
31 changes again, and containers seem very appealing.
35 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
36 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.