From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: XFCE user taking KDE for a spin
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:55:43
1 On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:19:26 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 >> Why not just run it from livecd? Save yourself the hassle. Why on earth
4 >> do you use -* in make.conf? for KEYWORDS? don;t do that!
5 >
6 > Why not use -* for KEYWORDS? I always do a pretend emerge before a real
7 > one and I research each new USE flag I see and add it if I think it's
8 > necessary/useful.
9 >
10 > - Grant
11
12 -* are masked for all archs. This is experimental beyond ~*. Furthermore,
13 you should at least specify your particular arch, like x86, amd64, ppc.
14 Many applications don't even use a -* arch so you will be missing a whole
15 bunch of stuff.
16
17 A better way to handle this is to use the package.keywords file and add to
18 it any experimental ebuilds you want.
19
20 man emerge will give you more information.
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list