From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Emacs - (I think [the]) Fonts [are] Broken
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 23:00:19
1 I can't figure out how to fix this one - NOT for lack of trying,
2 however.
3
4 I'm slowly trying to become more terminal-friendly and less
5 GUI-dependent. I also keep hearing how Emacs is so cool and powerful
6 and useful and blah. So I decided to try and learn it and see for
7 myself.
8
9 Installed it on my Kubuntu desktop and it worked fine. On my Gentoo
10 laptop... a whole other story.
11
12 I have app-editors/emacs v21.4-r4 installed. I don't have xemacs or
13 xemacs-base installed. This is probably applicable, so that's why I'm
14 including it.
15
16 When I use emacs I see the menus and all things X11, however, the editor
17 shows nothing but those annoying blocks that signify some kind of
18 problem with the font. I tried changing the fontset and stuff, but
19 only succeeded in crashing X twice and then making the boxes smaller or
20 larger and then crashing X.
21
22 I looked though Portage and by a total miracle found media-fonts/ (was
23 using Kuroo, which organizes things like media/fonts, so I didn't look
24 in media/ for fonts, so I almost missed it). I installed a few fonts
25 that I thought might rectify the situation, however, they didn't.
26
27 What should I do to fix Emacs? I hear it's a very powerful and useful
28 editor, and I would like to learn to use it (vi and/or its many
29 variants is next on my list, so no emacs vs. vi wars please) so any
30 assistance would be very helpful.
31
32 Thanks for your time!
35 http://lordsauronthegreat.googlepages.com/