From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [HEADSUP] libreoffice versus bison-2.5
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 14:40:16
1 On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 12:10:01AM +0200, walt wrote:
2 > On 05/20/2011 08:24 PM, Indi wrote:
3 > > On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:50:01AM +0200, walt wrote:
4 >
5 > >> For you users of unstable gentoo: the recent update of 'icu' broke
6 > >> dozens of packages (as it always does) including libreoffice.
7 > >>
8 > >> The problem is that libreoffice fails to build if you have bison-2.5
9 >
10 > > I have bison-2.5, but am using libreoffice-bin which seems fine.
11 >
12 > Yes, that would be expected because bison is needed only at compile time,
13 > not at run time.
14 >
15 > I would be using libreoffice-bin too, except for a ridiculous change made
16 > about a year ago in the way openoffice charts are scaled on the y-axis.
17 >
18 > I complained bitterly on the openoffice 'chart' mail list, only to discover
19 > that openoffice changed its perfectly good scaling algorithm to ape a change
20 > made in M$ Office!
21 >
22 > Nobody at openoffice.org would consider reverting that ridiculous mee-too
23 > change, so I've been editing the open(libre)office source code to remove it
24 > myself before compiling it. I was very disappointed to find a major open-
25 > source project following M$ around like a hungry puppy :(
26
27 It's unfortunate that we don't have small, fast, light, standalone
28 programs to deal with the formats of word, excel, powerpoint, etc but
29 if we did odds are most people would shun them for a big, bloaty
30 office suite anyway. Personally, I'd love it if I could open and edit
31 those office formats in vim...
34 caveat utilitor