From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS recommendation
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 21:40:11
1 On Sun, May 11, 2008 at 10:15:49AM -0700, Penguin Lover maxim wexler squawked:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > This summer's electrical storms are coming and I can count on my PC stopping dead several times over the season.
5 >
6 > I did a search for UPS units and was overwhelmed by the diversity out there.
7 >
8 > What can the group recommend?
9 >
10 > I only need something that will give me about a minute's head start to safely turn of the box.
13 I use an APC Back-UPS ES 500. Since my desktop is kind of old and does
14 not consume too much power, it can (and has) helped my desktop survive
15 a ~30 mintue outage when I could not be reached to shut it down (as to
16 how I know: my neighbor gave me a call on his cell asking whether the
17 power is out for me too...)
18
19 I have heard that I can make the graceful shutdown automatic, but so
20 far I haven't bothered with it.
21
22 W
23 --
24 Congress:
25 An organization to provide balance and be the opposite of Progress.
26 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 520 days, 20:12
27 --
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list