From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] *draft* for setting up network bridge with systemd (for qemu/kvm)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:33:54
1 Am 29.01.2013 20:23, schrieb Canek Peláez Valdés:
2
3 > I really believe the most important thing abount systemd unit files is
4 > that they are small and simple. You can also check the exit status
5 > from each command in the script, or even better, you can do a test
6 > after all the commands are done to check the status of the bridge and
7 > see if it was created correctly.
8 >
9 > None of this belongs in the unit service, IMO. Otherwise, you end
10 > creating ssh keys and user groups in unit files, and none of this
11 > belongs there. Clear separation between the services and the init
12 > system.
13 >
14 > But of course, as I said to Stefan, if it works it works.
15
16 As I mentioned it is a first version ... just to make things work.
17
18 If all the services/daemons/stuff work with systemd then I am able to
19 use it as default init-system here and I don't have switch back to
20 openrc to do my work (for example when I need KVM-based virtualization
21 on my workstation).
22
23 I agree with your argument that unitfiles should be as small and simple
24 as possible, on the other hand those commands just get pulled in from
25 elsewhere: the complexity is just moved out of sight, right?
26
27 I did quite some research to find more elegant solutions ... so far I
28 wasn't successful.
29
30 For now I am happy to get my itches scratched ... I am absolutely ready
31 to learn and improve things. Sharing my first steps here maybe helps to
32 motivate other gentoo-users to give systemd a try?
33
34 Regards, Stefan