From: "Sebastian Günther" <samson@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge xfce4 with installed lprng. :-(
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:07:39
1 * Alan Mackenzie (acm@×××.de) [24.07.08 11:42]:
2 > Hi, excellent people!
3 >
4 > Having got X11 installed and "working", I need a window manager. Why
5 > not XFCE, as supplied on the installation disk?
6 >
7 > # emerge xfce didn't work - "Portage: Don't know what xfce is".
8 > Scrabbled aroud /usr/portage, then # emerge xfce4 started working.
9 >
10 > Why the 4 do I have to type xfce4, not xfce? Anyhow, that's a minor
11 > point.
12 >
13 Just a tip: maybe you should use emerge -s for such things, or eix.
14 And iirc there were older xfce implementation besides xfce4 in the tree
15
16 > The major point was that portage refused to install xfce because it said
17 > that
18 >
19 > [blocks B ] net-print/lprng (is blocking net-print/cups-1.3.7-r1)
20 > [blocks B ] net-print/cups (is blocking net-print/lprng-3.8.28)
21 >
22 > * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
23 > * installed at the same time on the same system.
24 >
25 > . I.e., it wants to override my decision to use lprng as print program
26 > and put in cups instead. This is a bit of a cheek!
27 >
28 > Why isn't xfce configured merely to install "some print daemon", rather
29 > than specifically cups? For that matter, why must it install a print
30 > daemon at all? Not every X user has a printer or wants to print.
31 >
32 > What can I do about this? I really don't want to have to install cups.
35 xfce4 is just a meta package, meaning the only purpose is to give you
36 dependencies on the real packages. And this dependencies are quite
37 general to meet the most people's needs.
38
39 Just look in the ebuild to get a starting point. And now by doing it
40 myself, I see that it honors the cups useflag. It maybe enable by your
41 profile. So disabling it might resolve your problem.
42
43 HTH
44 Sebastian
47 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx
48
49 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@××××××××××××××××.de