From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] build programs in other distros
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 21:08:18
1 Hi, All.
2
3 I've used a few distros, but mostly for curiosity. Being a Gentoo user for
4 ... well, more than a decade, I'm used to build binaries in a very simple
5 way, that simply works for me.
6
7 So, I probably learned the way to do it using Gentoo, and nothing else.
8
9 Recently I tried to build one of my programs in an Ubuntu distro, and it
10 didn't build at all, messing library and include files names and locations.
11
12 How do real developers manage this? And why this difference happens, in the
13 first place? Why mangle uper/lower case characters in library file names?
14
15 I guess that's why "autoconf" "configure" et al exists... But never tried
16 to learn about them, so perhaps it's time now?
17
18 Thanks!
19
20 Best regards,