From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Desperately seeking modelines; xorg 1.6.3.901-r2 bleeds off the edges
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 17:21:48
1 I normally stay logged in forever, even after updates. I'm both busy and
2 lazy. However, the Xorg flurry seemed to have died down, so I took the
3 plunge and rebooted. Oops.
4
5 <troll option=ignore>
6 It had not re-emerged xf86-input-* for me, a case that I think should be
7 handled automatically -- I use a source distro because I want to be able to
8 tweak it, not so that it can force me to do so at arbitrary, inconvenient
9 and unpredictable intervals.
10 </troll>
11
12 That was easily solved by searching my gmail archive, which in my case
13 contains only the contents of technical mailing lists. Gmail seemed to me
14 perfect for that. Others had already solved that problem, and I re-emerged.
15
16 The bigger problem is that now Xorg is trying to display things off the left
17 and right edges of my monitor. By adjusting the monitor I see that there
18 are 24 pixels of stuff bleeding off the edge -- enough to lose a close box,
19 for instance.
20
21 My Xorg.conf does specify some details about the monitor, but no modeline.
22 I had to put that stuff in there originally to get my preferred 1280x1024
23 resolution. Do I need to go back to the days of modlines? Xorg.conf is
24 attached.
25
26 ++ kevin
29 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD