From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Hardware...
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 03:30:13
1 Jerry McBride wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I'm gearing up for a new hardware purchase and I find that I need a little
5 > help figuring out "what is" and "what isn't" linux compatible.
6 >
7 > The days of pci, agp video and socket A hardware are slowly coming to a close
8 > and I'm itching to try something new.
9 >
10 > Does anyone here run any cutting edge hardware, like socket am2 motherboards
11 > and pci-e video cards?
12 >
13 > Sounds dumb, but I've no hands on experience with the new stuff and would love
14 > to hear from those with first hand knowledge. In particular, what hardware
15 > are you using and how does it work on your desktop? Any driver issues with
16 > xorg-x11, etc.?
17 >
18 > My goal is to build a desktop, taking full advantage of the current available
19 > video hardware... maybe even use xgl on it too.
20 >
21 > Anything would be welcomed. Feel free to email me off list if you desire.
22
23 As far as video, I would recommend a motherboard with Intel graphics if
24 you want to support open source. The latest stuff is roughly equivalent
25 to a Radeon 9250. Intel is doing a superb job of supporting open-source
26 drivers and is the _only_ company with fully open-source drivers on its
27 newest hardware.
28
29 If you still want open-source drivers but need better performance, check
30 into a Radeon X800 XT or any X### where ### is less than 1000. Those
31 will use the reverse-engineered r300 driver.
32
33 I cannot recommend any non-Intel graphics outside of the Radeon series
34 8500-X850. Nobody in the open-source community will want to help or
35 support you if you are using binary drivers, so there's nothing you can
36 do if you hit a bug in them.
37
38 With the recent news that AMD is buying ATI, perhaps more good news will
39 surface that ATI will open up its drivers and specs once again.
40
41 Thanks,
42 Donnie
43 --