From: "Poison BL." <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Peeve - finding kernel config options
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 21:24:15
1 On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > This is for those of use who to choose to roll our kernels by hand...
5 >
6 > So, am I missing something?
7 >
8 > Given the most recent gentoo news item:
9 >
10 >> # eselect news read 10
11 >> 2014-02-25-udev-upgrade
12 >> Title Upgrade to >=sys-fs/udev-210
13 >> Author Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
14 >> Posted 2014-02-25
15 >> Revision 1
16 >>
17 >> The options CONFIG_FHANDLE and CONFIG_NET are now required in the kernel.
20 > Whenever kernel config options are provided like this, it would be nice if
21 > time was taken to provide the path to where they are found.
22 >
23 > I had to find the first one (CONFIG_FHANDLE) by:
24 >
25 > 1. grepping .config, seeing it wasn't enabled,
26 > 2. running make menuconfig and searching for 'FHANDLE',
27 > 3. seeing it is located in 'General setup',
28 > 4. scouring the General setup options, finding no 'FHANLDE' anywhere,
29 > 5. finding something in all lowercase named 'open by fhanlde syscalls',
30 > 6. enabling this option, saving the modified config,
31 > 7. confirming it is now enabled by grepping .config again
32 >
33 > Sheesh. Really?
34 >
35 > Would be nice if the news item had something like
36 > CONFIG_FHANDLE (General setup > 'open by fhandle syscalls')
37 > and
38 > CONFIG_NET (still don't know which one this is??)
39 >
40 > Wackadoo...
43 When I search FHANDLE in menuconfig I get:
44
45 │ Symbol: FHANDLE [=y]
46 │ Type : boolean
47 │ Prompt: open by fhandle syscalls
48 │ Location:
49 │ (1) -> General setup
50 │ Defined at init/Kconfig:235
51 │ Selects: EXPORTFS [=y]
52 │ Selected by: GENTOO_LINUX_INIT_SYSTEMD [=y] && GENTOO_LINUX [=y]
53 && GENTOO_LINUX_UDEV [=y]
54
55 This clearly states that the prompt you're looking for is a line that
56 says "open by fhandle syscalls" under "General setup"
57
58 Sure, it's not the absolute simplest interface (i.e. it doesn't give a
59 'enable this' in the search results) but it does give all the
60 necessary information about a given option to find it (as well as
61 dependencies and their current states, etc). The most likely reason
62 the news item doesn't list the specific "prompt" text (or even the
63 category) is that, across even sub release versions of the kernel
64 those are prone to change (and, at times, drastically) while the
65 actual CONFIG_<name> option tends to be fairly static through time
66 once it exists (even when superseded by new toys, i.e. older
67 IDE/ATA/ATAPI options vs newer PATA options).
70 Poison [BLX]
71 Joshua M. Murphy