From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Did Gnome 3.12 Just Drop?
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 11:15:14
1 On 01/06/2014 11:48, Hunter Jozwiak wrote:
2 > Hi all. I had installed Gnome 3.10 a few days ago, and now things have
3 > been migrating towards 3.12 Has Gnome 3.12 just launched for the x86
4 > platforms, or is there something amiss with Portage that I should
5 > check? I get this weird update process: it gives me a version, such as
6 > 4.0, but the next day bumps me up to 4.1, which is weird, since logic
7 > would say that 4.1 is the newest, you'd want it over 4.0. Or is it the
8 > SLOTS technology? I've not quite gotten that concept yet.
11 Let's back up a bit and first cover the technique of asking smart
12 questions, as what you typed can't really be answered.
13
14 You need to supply specifics when asking questions. Vague general
15 questions indicate you are too lazy to think, or you don;t really know
16 what you are doing, and both usually give no answers.
17
18 Which packages exactly are updating, and why do you think this is
19 noteworthy?For big meta projects like gnome it is quite normal for the
20 low level packages (like libs) to be updated first, then more higher
21 level apps and so on till everything is in the tree. This gives the devs
22 time to get bug reports if those ebuilds still need work. Nothing
23 unusual in this at all.
24
25 Some packages like KDE don't use this method, they drop everything for
26 the next version in the tree in one commit. Both approaches are valid,
27 neither are incorrect and both are perfectly normal.
28
29 Your second question also doesn't make sense. You had foo-4.0 and now
30 you get foo-4.1. What's the problem? Nothing crazy is going on, you got
31 an update.
32
33 If you want a better answer, ask a better question and specify exactly
34 which packages you don't understand. Usually, typing up the mail already
35 shows you what is going on.
36
37 Here's what probably happened: You got 4.0 because that is what was in
38 the tree. With the next sync you got 4.1 because it has been committed
39 in the interim. What's noteworthy about that?
40
41 Gentoo moves *very* fast with many commits to the tree in a day. It's
42 not red hat and it's not Windows with patch Tuesday.
43
44 And it has nothing to do with SLOTs - read the handbook to find out what
45 those are, it's in the install doc.
51 Alan McKinnon
52 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com