From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] how to use RAM
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:44:48
1 Greets, gentoo-users,
2
3 as I ordered myself an upgrade from 4 to 8 gigs of RAM for my main
4 workstation, just because it's rather cheap now and I have good use for
5 the "old" 4 gigs I wonder what to do with those shiny new additional 4 gigs.
6
7 OK, linux uses it for IO-caching, yep ...
8
9 I have some ram-disk already for compiling stuff (portage-stuff) and I
10 can think of increasing app-caches like operas own ram-cache to make use
11 of the memory.
12
13 I will give my virtual machines more RAM to improve their performance,
14 yes, this is maybe the main reason for me to upgrade RAM.
15
16 But are there any other things I might forget?
17
18 Are there any creative non-ricer ways to really make use of it?
19
20 I would like to hear your opinion on this, I am quite sure the
21 gentoo-community knows one trick or the other ;-)
22
23 Thanks a lot, Stefan