From: Raphael Melo de Oliveira Bastos Sales <raphael.melo21@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage, network less install and Apache, MySQL, PHP
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 23:29:05
1 Answer to 1:
2 Yes, if you download a portage-<timestamp>.tar.bz2 file and uncompress
3 it on /usr/portage, it has the same effect as emerge --sync. Actually,
4 to be more precise, the same effect as emerge-webrsync. Unforunately,
5 this consumes more bandwidth, since it downloads ebuilds you don't
6 need to update as well. But, in a proxy enviroment that doesn't allow
7 rsync, it is the only choice you have.
8
9 Answer to 2:
10 Portage doesn't really care how you download the source packages, as
11 long as they have the same md5sum. So, if you download them separetely
12 and move them to /usr/portage/distfiles, you should be fine.
13 Answer to 3:
14 See 1 and 2. :)
15