From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distrowatch and gentoo......
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:55:34
1 On Friday 30 June 2006 20:16, Rumen Yotov wrote:
2 > Yes but the question is which *one* will prevail (maybe it'll be better
3 > if two or even three are used, based on user preferences etc.).
4 > The way to go (as it's going now) is to standardize on the ebuild format
5 > - the *data* in portage and open place for technical merits.
6 > IMO this is just a temporary problem from which something better will
7 > emerge, i truly hope so. Lets hope *everybody* will learn from it ;)
8
9 I don't quite see how there is anything temporary about it. As I see
10 standardizing the ebuilds is the permanent solution. It allows for several
11 package managers to coexist (i.e. no *one* needs to prevail) and by looking
12 at the standard one can always determine if a bug is in the ebuild or in the
13 package manager. I think the discussion about package managers is an example
14 of a heated discussion that ended out with the perfect solution.
17 Bo Andresen