From: Adam Carter <Adam.Carter@×××××××××.au>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: dev-lang/python-2.3.6-r2 (is blocking app-admin/python-updater-0.5
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 02:45:14
1 > > A more conservative approach (which shouldn't break
2 > anything AFAIK, but will take longer) is;
3 > > 1. Run python-updater to move everything from 2.3 to 2.4
4 > > 2. Uninstall python 2.3
5 > > 3. Do your full emerge -uvD to update to python-updater 0.5
6 > and python 2.5
7 > > 4. (optional, you could to it later) run python-updater to
8 > move everything from 2.4 to 2.5
9 > > 5. (optional) run prelink again to catch everything that
10 > emerge world installed/updated
13 > At this point do you suggest that python-2.4 could be removed?
14
15 Perhaps after some double checks with re-runs of revdep-rebuild and python-updater. However I've left it installed, just in case the update program missed something, and because python is critical. Personally I'd only remove it now if I was really short on disk space. Maybe leave it a few months before removal just in case.