From: Jacob Todd <jaketodd422@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ridiculously wide handbook pages
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 22:54:44
1 They're readable even on my droid x.
2
3 On Sep 30, 2010 1:15 PM, "Grant Edwards" <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > I've noticed recently that the Gentoo handbook web pages are
5 > ridiculously wide. (It seems to me that they didn't used to be, but I
6 > wouldn't swear to that).
7 >
8 > For example, look at this page:
9 >
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/embedded/handbook/?part=1&chap=2
11 >
12 > The normal text paragraphs have lines that average over 160 characters
13 > per line. The generally accepted guideline for line length in order to
14 > maintain good readability is 40-80. The above page's lines are 2-4
15 > times as long as recommended for good readability, and they are in
16 > fact so long that I can't make my browser wide enough to see an entire
17 > line.
18 >
19 > Line lengths that long make the pages hard to read even if you _can_
20 > make your browser wide enough to show an entire line.
21 >
22 > The regular handbook is a little better:
23 >
24 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1
25 >
26 > That has lines that average about 140 characters. That's still much
27 > longer than what I'd consider good practice.
28 >
29 > Do the extremely long lines in the handbook web pages bother anybody
30 > else?
31 >
32 > I can understand that things like example code blocks or sample
33 > command input/output blocks might need to be wide enough to require
34 > horizontal scrolling of a browser window, but normal text paragraphs
35 > with 160 characters per line?
36 >
37 > --
38 > Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Is this going to
39 > at involve RAW human ecstasy?
40 > gmail.com