From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nouveau driver turns off video when I start X
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 21:23:26
1 Proprietary drivers work fine with 3.2.1. Haven't tried 3.2.12.
2 On Apr 18, 2012 5:09 PM, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > I started a thread a while ago about looking for an accelerated video
5 > card. I went and got an ASUS EN210 Silent PCIe card and followed the
6 > instructions at the Gentoo Nouveau wiki. I have not been able to get X
7 > running yet. Trying to launch X with startx blanks the screen, and I
8 > can't get it back. Note that the machine does *NOT* lock up, rather the
9 > video gets disabled until I reboot. I can ssh into the machine. It
10 > appears to be working fine. If I...
11 >
12 > * start a root text console in TTY8
13 > * switch to TTY9
14 > * startx
15 >
16 > The screen goes blank and I can't get graphics or GUI, no matter what
17 > I do. I can ssh in from another machine and things look OK. As a
18 > matter of fact, I can {CTRL-ALT-F8} and blindly issue the command
19 > "reboot" or "halt -p", and it gets executed. The attached Xorg.log file
20 > shows nothing wrong. "Xorg -configure" does generate an xorg.conf.new
21 > file, but screams about...
22 >
23 > ====================================================================
24 > (EE) [drm] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol
25 > Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
26 > Configuration failed.
27 > Server terminated with error (2). Closing log file.
29 >
30 > The Gentoo Nouveau wiki says that message comes either from disabling
31 > DRI (which I didn't do) or from the wrong opengl. I only have the xorg
32 > version. Any ideas? Do the proprietary Nvidia drivers work with kernel
33 > 3.2.12? I'm running with mdev instead of udev. Would that make a
34 > difference?
35 >
36 > --
37 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>