From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage is misplaced in /usr
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 19:35:31
1 On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Cedric Sodhi <manday@×××.net> wrote:
2 > There are several reasons why portage, neither the tree nor (especially
3 > not) the distfiles should reside in /usr.
4 >
5 <SNIP>
6
7 I have no opinion on the subject really, but can't you build a link
8 from /usr/portage to anywhere you want to put it? I put
9 /usr/portage/distfiles on a separate partition as I hate running out
10 of disk space on my root partition when I've not cleaned up distfiles.
11
12 The only reason I could give for not changing is I don't want to teach
13 my fingers /var/portage vs what they already know. That's a pretty
14 weak reason.
15
16 - Mark