From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] booting from a usb flash drive
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 16:31:03
1 On Thu, Jul 16 2015, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 12:40 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> I believe I correctly dd'ed a minimal cd onto a usb flash (aka thumb)
5 >> drive.
6 >>
7 >> I set the boot order on my new system (dell 7450) to have the usb
8 >> storage device first. Sure enough I get the isolinux prompt and the
9 >> kernel is loaded.
10 >>
11 >> However after asking for the keymap (I just hit enter)
12 >> it types "looking for the cdrom". There is no cdrom.
13 >>
14 >> It then tries to mount media /dev/sda[123] (which are dell and windows
15 >> partitions). When this fails it announces "no bootable medium found"
16 >>
17 >> I tried adding the doscsi option, no change.
18 >>
19 >> What did I do wrong?
20 >
21 > Does your system have USB 3 ports? USB 3 is currently broken on the
22 > installcd images.
23
24 Yes. My new system is USB 3.
25 allan