From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sync'ing and compiling pkgs for multiple PCs
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 08:15:52
1 On 30 Jul 2008, at 00:09, Simon wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I have 3 computers and they are all setup the same with the
4 > exception of the kernel that has different options for the youngest
5 > of my pcs. I'm looking for a simple, easy and efficient way to
6 > keep them all up2date.
7 >
8 > I want to avoid 3 --sync to the gentoo servers. I have tried to
9 > setup one of my pc as central server and sync the others on it, but
10 > has the main disadvantage that the other PCs are dependant on it
11 > (ok, it's not so difficult to change make.conf).
12
13 Hi Simon,
14
15 Your email is very long, so I'm not sure if I've taken it all in, but
16 what I'd suggest is a shared /usr/portage directory (easily done by
17 NFS) and distcc.
18
19 The shared portage reduces the need to --sync and ensures that all
20 computers share access to the binary packages once their built.
21
22 distcc is, IMO, a bit more elegant than (for instance) trying to
23 manually emerge binary packages for machine A on PC B. You can tell
24 it to share the work or just unload it to the most powerful machine.
25 There may be concerns about using a binary package if USE flags are
26 different between the two machines, but distcc ensures that the
27 package is built using those defined in make.conf of the machine on
28 which you're running emerge.
29
30 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Using_a_shared_portage_via_NFS
31