From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Console scrollback
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 10:38:28
1 On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 10:30:19 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I see that the kernel code to scroll the console has been stripped out [1].
5 > What do people use instead?
6 >
7 > This loss is a nuisance while installing a new system, as I am still trying
8 > to do on my old laptop.
9 >
10 > 1. https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=20/09/15/1824233&from=rss
11
12 A relief to see I'm not alone in experiencing this problem - I thought I had
13 misconfigured something on my systems. :-)
14
15 A way around it would be to use screen or tmux and use their internal buffer.
16 However, if you're already logged in a console and suddenly want to
17 Shift+PageUp, then it would be too late. This suggestion won't help if you
18 want to look at the rc scripts output as the system boots, but you can capture
19 these separately in syslog.