From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Transition to baselayout2 / openrc failed due to udev issues
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:47:44
1 Hi,
2
3 Yesterday I faced a problem when trying to switch to baselayout2/openrc on a
4 machine with lvm and raid.
5
6 The scenario: Server has software raid with mdadm and lvm2 and is currently
7 mostly stable amd64. Root partition is on md1 and most other partitions (also
8 /usr, that might matter) on some lvm partitions.
9
10 I added baselayout, openrc and sysvinit to package.keywords (later also tried
11 with additionally adding lvm2, udev and mdadm, but that didn't change things)
12 and followed the migration guide at
13 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
16 The system failed on boot. I think that the problem is that for some reason,
17 udev isn't starting correctly. It is in the sysinit runlevel.
18 The interesting part is probably
19 * Populating /dev with ex/bin/sh: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change
20 locale (de_DE.utf-8)
21 * Setting system clock using the hardware clock [UTC] ...
22 Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
23 Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.
24 * Failed to set the system clock
25 [ !! ]
26
27 I get a lot of more failures, raid and lvm isn't starting with errors. The
28 LC_ALL-warnings are polluting everything, but that shouldn't be an issue (?).
29
30 Any hints on what might be wrong?
33 Hanno Böck Blog: http://www.hboeck.de/
34 GPG: 3DBD3B20 Jabber/Mail: hanno@××××××.de