From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 17:14:52
1 Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 4/22/20 11:58 AM, John Covici wrote:
3 >> Yes, portage agrees with that statement, maybe I didn't give you the
4 >> whole log, I thought it said that in there -- I did see that, I am
5 >> sure. My question is how does this work normally, when you merge a
6 >> package and update is this not always the case that there are files
7 >> owned by the previous version on the system?
8 >>
9 > Yeah, but the package manager knows which files are owned by the version
10 > being replaced and it doesn't complain about those.
15 Correct.  OP, a little more detail, someone correct me if I'm not clear
16 enough here.  If you install abc-1 with one set of files but the package
17 is slotted and abc-2 is installed, portage knows what files are where
18 and what version of the package they belong too.  Thing is, this is
19 different.  Portage/emerge thinks those file belong to another package.
20 Whether it is a different version or a package with a different name
21 doesn't matter.  Portage keeps a database of every file it installs and
22 what package it belongs to, including version if slotted.  When there is
23 a clash, emerge detects that and spits out the message you see.
24
25 If you are certain that those files should be replaced and do not affect
26 other packages, I'd either disable the protection with the FEATURES
27 thingy or manually remove those files.  Once you do that,
28 update/re-emerge the package and test it.
29
30 Dale
31