From: "Christoph Böhmwalder" <christoph@×××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xorg broken?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 14:52:38
1 I think I broke something once again...
2
3 Rebooting after a recent update caused my X Server to completely die. I
4 faintly remember some x11-related packages being blocked on that
5 particular update, but because I was short on time I decided just to
6 ignore those at the time (note to self: bad idea, apparently).
7
8 Now when I run startx, it complains about a bunch of permissions being
9 borked:
10
11 $ cat Xorg.0.log
12 ---- 8< ----
13 [ 11.763] (--) using VT number 7
14
15 [ 11.763] (EE)
16 Fatal server error:
17 [ 11.766] (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission denied)
18 [ 11.767] (EE)
19 [ 11.768] (EE)
20 Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
21 at http://wiki.x.org
22 for help.
23 [ 11.773] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/home/christoph/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
24 [ 11.774] (EE)
25 [ 11.775] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
26 [ 11.775] (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
27 [ 11.775] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
28
29 (I'll attach the full log)
30
31 I don't fully understand what's going on there, but I figured maybe
32 someone more experienced on here might have an idea as to what I did
33 wrong this time.
36 FWIW, I already tried setting the permissions of /dev/tty7 to 664,
37 causing the X server to work, albeit with inputs not working (the log
38 reveiled that it couldn't access /dev/input/event7 or something, so
39 probably the same issue).
42 My user's groups are:
43
44 $ groups christoph
45 tty wheel audio video usb users input davfs2 plugdev christoph kvm
46
47 (Note tty, audio, video, and input. That's all X should really need,
48 right?)
49
50 My VIDEO_CARDS contains "intel i915" (for an Intel HD 4000(?) chip in a
51 Lenovo X1 Carbon 1st gen).
54 Has this broken for anyone else? Anyone who could point me in the right
55 direction? Thanks in advance!
58 Regards,
59 Christoph

Xorg.0.log text/plain