From: Jason Weisberger <jbdubbs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nv vs nvidia (xorg-7*)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:03:07
1 James,
2
3 NV is an open source driver supporting all NVidia cards, but does not
4 support hardware acceleration. There are numerous and very annoying bugs
5 reported with this driver. NVIDIA is a proprietary driver which supports 2D
6 and 3D hardware acceleration through the GF2 series of cards. This is your
7 best option. NVIDIA-LEGACY is a driver I was not even aware of, but I'm
8 guessing this would support GF1, 256, and TNT cards that have been bumped
9 out of the main driver for space. Both of your cards should use the NVIDIA
10 driver. You can use this flag in your make.conf settings for xorg 7,
11 however it will really not have much affect. You'll need to emerge these
12 seperately as far as I know.
13
14 # emerge nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel
15
16 then go on and emerge your xorg 7. Be sure to read about driver
17 compatibility problems with XOrg 7.1 and up on the gentoo-wiki site if you
18 plan to use that version of xorg.
19
20 JBDubbs
21