From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody running gnome3 in a virtualbox gentoo guest?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 02:46:03
1 On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 8:32 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Because I'm paranoid, I update my virtualbox ~amd64-gentoo-guest machine every
3 > day *before* I update my (real hardware) "production" machine. (The definition
4 > of "production" is left as an exercise for the reader.)
5 >
6 > Not long ago I noticed that the vbox guest machine failed to start a gnome
7 > session because "3D hardware support" is not available on the guest machine.
8 >
9 > To make a very long story short, I downgraded the xorg-server on the gentoo
10 > guest from 1.16.0 to 1.15.1, and now gnome3 is happy again.
11 >
12 > Techie detail for nerds only: /usr/libexec/gnome-session-check-accelerated
13 > returns an error message with xorg-server-1.16.0, but works normally with
14 > xorg-server-1.15.1.
15 >
16 > Has anyone else seen the same behavior?
17
18 I cannot recommend on VirtualBox (although, as some kernel developers
19 have said, their modules are "crap"[1]), but I've succeeded in running
20 GNOME 3 with Qemu using the qxl virtual video card. It's slow, but it
21 works.
22
23 Regards.
24
25 [1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTk5Mw
26 --
27 Canek Peláez Valdés
28 Profesor de asignatura, Facultad de Ciencias