From: Denis <denis.che@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] how to extract driver info from genkernel
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:08:54
1 Hello,
2
3 This will probably sound simplistic to most... I'm setting up an
4 older Dell PC, and I used genkernel to get it up and running, but how
5 do I figure out which drivers I actually need without knowing for sure
6 which hardware I have in the machine? Genkernel loads a lot of
7 drivers, and the kernel takes a very long time to compile - I
8 understand why, and I'm not complaining about that. But suppose I now
9 wanted to set up the X server, and I don't know which graphics driver
10 I need to choose. Or, suppose I wanted to compile the kernel myself,
11 and I don't really know which drivers I *must* select (since I don't
12 know which chips the machine has). Does anyone have any tips on this?
13
14 Many thanks,
15 Denis