From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet? -> what was wron with SysVInit?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 13:58:13
1 On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > [ snip ]
3 > * Really simple service unit files: The service unit files are really
4 > small, really simple, really easy to understand/modify. Compare the 9
5 > lines of sshd.service:
6 >
7 > $ cat /etc/systemd/system/sshd.service
8 > [Unit]
9 > Description=SSH Secure Shell Service
10 > After=syslog.target
11 >
12 > [Service]
13 > ExecStart=/usr/sbin/sshd -D
14 >
15 > [Install]
16 > WantedBy=multi-user.target
17 >
18 > with the 84 of /etc/init.d/sshd (80 without comments).
19 >
20 [snip]
21 >
22 > Hope it helps.
23 >
24 > Regards.
25 > --
26 > Canek Peláez Valdés
27 > Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
28 > Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
31 I've not yet made the leap, as the benefit of faster boot really
32 doesn't affect me between systems that're always on and laptops that
33 typically spend 75% of their time asleep, rather than ever getting
34 turned off, so I'm in no position to speak for or against the whole of
35 systemd's changes... but one issue I've had with the claimed benefits
36 is the reduction in size compared to startup scripts like
37 /etc/init.d/sshd ... based on that service declaration above, it's a
38 horribly unfair comparison. /etc/init.d/sshd is doing a lot more than
39 simply starting/stopping the service and dropping all of that
40 functionality, then claiming "these few lines serve the same purpose"
41 isn't an equal comparison. It would still be a (notable, at that) drop
42 in size if the shell script was redone to provide exactly the same set
43 of features, then compared, but that size difference wouldn't have the
44 same shock value as the comparison against 80+ lines. The argument
45 that those functions should be handled by the service rather than the
46 service handler is for another day, 'course.
47
48 I'll eventually get around to switching to play with systemd, at the
49 very least to learn its quirks enough to work with it, and it's very
50 helpful to have a clearly stated set of _favorable_ comments on it
51 (compared to the majority of less favorable commentary) to look
52 forward to, so don't take my having one issue with the list as
53 anything against either the list as a whole or your effort in putting
54 all that together, as both are very much appreciated.
55
56 Happy holidays.
59 Poison [BLX]
60 Joshua M. Murphy