From: johnstrass <johnstrass@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, waltdnes@××××××××.org
Subject: Re:Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot shutdown or reboot because of logind disconnection
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2022 09:37:32
1 At 2022-09-17 14:15:51, "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 >On Sat, Sep 17, 2022 at 10:40:53AM +0800, johnstrass wrote
4 >
5 >> Compiling gcc uses alot of memory, sometimes only less then 10MB
6 >> left free ( I am doing this on a small yeeloong netbook with only
7 >> 1GB memory).
8 >
9 > Ouch, I'm surprised it compiles at all. The Gentoo install handbook
10 >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#MAKEOPTS
11 >has a dire warning about memory usage...
17 Yep, I've got the gcc-12.2.0 natively compiled on this netbook using gcc-11.3.0, after 5+ days + a crash + 5more days.
18
19 I set up a large swap and I've also set up the ccache which may speedup a little after the crash.
22 >> Warning
23 >> Using a large number of jobs can significantly impact memory
24 >> consumption. A good recommendation is to have at least 2 GiB of RAM
25 >> for every job specified (so, e.g. -j6 requires at least 12 GiB). To
26 >> avoid running out of memory, lower the number of jobs to fit the
27 >> available memory.
28 >
29 > You simply don't have enough ram. You might reduce the pain and the
30 >swapping by trying something like the following in make.conf (assuming
31 >you haven't already done it)
34 >MAKEOPTS="-j1"
37 I will try next time. Thanks.
41 >> If this happens, what is the best way to reboot or shutdown?
44 > Try ye olde {CTRL}{ALT}{DEL}
49 I remember that I did try "CTRL+ALT+DEL" in such situations before, and most times it did not work but for one or two times it worked occasionally. I will try it again next time.
55 >--
56 >I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
57 >frames, the first Browser Wars. Searching for pages with AltaVista,
58 >pop-up windows self-replicating, trying to uninstall RealPlayer. All
59 >those moments, will be lost in time like tears in rain... time to die.