From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2020 21:41:11
1 On Sat, 4 Apr 2020 22:11:59 +0200, Alarig Le Lay wrote:
2
3 > The news item from 2020-04-03 says “future removal of the legacy X11
4 > input drivers x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse and
5 > x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard“
6
7 [snip]
8
9 > However, emerge --depclean doesn’t try to remove them. The INPUT_DEVICES
10 > is commented out in make.conf but emerege --info does contain the
11 > deprecated drivers:
12 > alarig@pikachu ~ % grep INPUT_DEVICES /etc/portage/make.conf
13 > #INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics"
14 > alarig@pikachu ~ % emerge --info | grep -Po
15 > '\KINPUT_DEVICES="([[:lower:]](\s?))+"' INPUT_DEVICES="libinput
16 > keyboard mouse"
17 >
18 > Which is the concatenation of INPUT_DEVICES="libinput" from
19 > profiles/default/linux/make.defaults and INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
20 > from profiles/base/make.defaults.
21 >
22 > So, I think that the INPUT_DEVICES variable pushed by the base profile
23 > should be updated.
24
25 Isn't the key that the news item says "future removal". Devs have been
26 criticised in the past by documenting these changes too late, sometimes
27 after they have been implemented. This time they seem to be giving us
28 fair warning and time to get our systems in order. My results are similar
29 to yours so I expect that the deprecated drivers will be depcleaned when
30 the future becomes the present.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
37 build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to
38 produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." --
39 Rich Cook