From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: High resolution on a 13 inch screen
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 19:34:57
1 On 04/09/17 22:24, Grant wrote:
2 >>>> My laptop's 13" screen has a native resolution of 3200x1800 which
3 >>>> makes everything crazy small on-screen. Is there a good method for
4 >>>> telling Xorg or xfce4 to compensate, or should I one-at-a-time my
5 >>>> applications?
6 >>>
7 >>> Depends on your desktop. I'm not sure if XFCE supports this, but in KDE
8 >>> everything scales to my monitor's DPI automatically.
9 >>>
10 >>> What is the output of:
11 >>>
12 >>> xdpyinfo | grep -i resolution
13 >>>
14 >>> (The utility is in the x11-apps/xdpyinfo package.)
15 >>>
16 >>> On such a small screen, the result should be a very high DPI (around 282.)
17 >>> If that's not the number you get, then your graphics driver is reporting it
18 >>> wrong to Xorg, and you need to set it manually.
19 >>
20 >> This led me to the DisplaySize parameter for xorg.conf which helps a lot.
23 > Is there a way to digitally discover the true height and width of your
24 > screen in mm?
25
26 Yes. xdpyinfo shows the information:
27
28 xdpyinfo | grep -B2 resolution
29
30 If the information is wrong, that usually means one of two things
31 (sometimes even both): a) the video driver is reporting the wrong size
32 to Xorg, and/or b) the screen is reporting the wrong size to the driver.