From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] scrapping hal
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 12:35:55
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 12:46 on Thursday 28 October 2010, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 > > On Thursday 28 October 2010 04:50:18 Dale wrote:
6 > >> I think KDE is moving away from hal to tho. I read somewhere the
7 > >> switch is coming. I think it is switching to policykit at some
8 > >> point. I notice it is already in the USE flags for kdelibs here,
9 > >> disabled here at the moment tho. That would be if it doesn't change
10 > >> again.
11 > >
12 > > On this ~amd64 box:
13 > >
14 > > $ emerge -pv xorg-server
15 > > [...]
16 > > [ebuild R ] x11-base/xorg-server-1.9.1 USE="ipv6 nptl udev xorg -
17 > > dmx -doc -kdrive -minimal
18 > >
19 > > No mention of hal there.
20 >
21 > They are probably already moved away from hal. Everybody knows it is
22 > going and that is a bleeding edge version of xorg too. I'm still on 1.7.*.
23 >
24 > Which brings me to my next question. How is xorg 1.9 working for ya?
25 > Any gotchas? May try it here.
26
27 xorg-server 1.8 and 1.9 use mesa-7.8.2, and there's reports around that that
28 version of mesa causes desktop slowdowns. mesa-7.7.1 as used by xorg-
29 server-1.7 is reported to be fine
30
31 Me, I'm undecided. I have a slow sluggish desktop, but it might be the nvidia
32 drivers, mesa, X-server, kernel config, wrong elevator or even just the shitty
33 IO scheduler design on desktops that the kernel devs are recently waking up to
34 admitting to. Lots of stuff to change one at a time and see what results...
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com